Metal orthodontics (Metal brackets)
Metal orthodontics or Metal brackets
Metal brackets are fixed devices that are cemented in the teeth in order to:
- Align teeth and improve dental aesthetics.
- Correct the bite.
Prior to orthodontic treatment, the specialist doctor, will take some records using radiographs, photographs and study models. This is what we call orthodontic study.
The treatment is carried out by cementing (sticking) the brackets to the tooth, these are connected to each other by an arc (wire), which is responsible for exerting force on the tooth.
It is very important that during the treatment there is a correct hygiene to avoid inflammation in the gums, decay, spots and decalcifications in the enamel.
Conventional Metallic Brackets: It is a very resistant brackets and in traditional fixed orthodontic treatment they require elastic ligatures to hold and press the arch inside the brackets.
Advantages of metal brackets:
- Metal brackets are more resistant to fractures or wear.
- With metal brackets there are less urgent consultations than with aesthetic brackets.
- In general, treatments last less with metal brackets than with aesthetic ones.
- Price more affordable than aesthetic brackets.
Aesthetic braces are also used to correct bites align teeth and improve dental aesthetics.
Advantages of aesthetic brackets:
- Good aesthetics of the brackets.
- A little cheaper than transparent orthodontics.
Disadvantages of aesthetic brackets:
- Delicate brackets that tend to break or fall more easily than metal.
- They are larger than metal brackets.